Welcome to the Captain John Wilson Chapter NSDAR

The Captain John Wilson Chapter NSDAR meets the first Wednesday during September, October, November, February, and March and features interesting speakers on historical topics. The end-of-the-year picnic and meeting is held after the school year ends in May.

History: The chapter was organized April 12, 1930, with fifteen charter members. Its namesake, John Wilson (1756-1847), was commissioned as a captain in 1777, under Major John Lawson in the First Georgia Battalion in Warren County. For his service during the Revolutionary War, he received a pension and drew land in the 1827 Georgia Land Lottery. He is buried in a family cemetery on Cedar Rock Road across from Mattox Creek Road in McDuffie County (formerly Columbia County). The chapter dedicated a new marker for his grave on Dec. 31, 2001.

Annual Projects:

• Sponsor the American History essay contest for fifth grade students at Norris and Dearing Elementary Schools.

• Host a Bingo game twice a year for patients at the Charlie Norwood Veterans Administration Medical Center in Augusta.

• Present certificates of appreciation to veterans from the McDuffie County area. This effort originally began in recognition of the fiftieth anniversary of the Vietnam War and has expanded to include all veterans beginning with World War II and working forward.

• Give support to DAR philanthropies such as Meadow Garden (George Walton’s home in Augusta), DAR designated schools, and a variety of special projects.

Contact Us: If you are interested in becoming a member of NSDAR and would like to join our chapter, contact our registrar.